250 gms Karela (Bitter Gourd)
½ Cup Oil
1 tbsp. Mustard Seeds
2 tbsp. Salt
2 tbsp. Fennel Seeds
1 tbsp. Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
2 tbsp. Red Chili Powder
1 pinch Asafoetida
A perfectly spiced peppery and tangy pickle made by fermenting bitter gourds with a blend of local spices. This super aromatic sour and spicy Karele ka Achar could be served with your everyday meals or may even be enjoyed with hot puffed chapatis or plain boiled rice.
Here’s the recipe for this incredibly flavorful, piquant and tangy Karele ka Achar;
- Split Karelas into two length wise without peeling.
- Remove seeds and cut into slices.
- Parboil Karelas with salt.
- Drain excess water and let sit in sunlight for 2 hrs.
- Dry roast mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and kalonji until fragrant.
- Grind to a coarse powder.
- Combine Karelas with red chilli powder, turmeric powder, prepared ground powder, asafoetida, salt and oil.
- Mix well and transfer the mixture to a sterile air tight container.
- Let rest in sunlight for about a week.
- Shake twice a day.
- Enjoy with your everyday meals, hot puffed chapatis or plain boiled rice.