1 Cup Daal Mash
¼ tsp. Baking Soda
½ tsp. Salt
1 Pinch Asafoetida(Hing)
2 Cups Yogurt
2 tbsp. Cumin (Zeera)Roasted and Crushed
2 tbsp. Red Pepper FlakesRoasted
This delicious creamy yogurt-based Dahi Baray is one of the favorite Pakistani side dishes also served as an evening snack or appetizer.
Here’s the recipe for this temptingly toothsome Dahi Baray;
- Soak daal mash for 2-4 hours.
- Blend to a paste.
- Add baking soda, salt, and asafetida.
- Mix well and let rest for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Drop about 1 tbsp. batter into oil forming a patty-shaped dumpling.
- Fry until golden.
- Soak in water until soft.
- Strain and squeeze excess water using your palms. (do not over-squeeze or break the patties)
- Whisk yogurt and add about 3-4 tbsp. water to adjust the consistency.
- Place the patties in a serving dish.
- Pour on the whisked yogurt.
- Sprinkle some cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Enjoy with tamarind chutney and some crisps.