6-8 Bitter Gourd
4 Onions (Chopped)
4-5 Green Chilies
2 Raw Mango
7-8 Curry Leaves
1 cup Oil
1 tsp. Turmeric Powder
½ tsp. Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
1 tsp. Red Chili Powder
1 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
½ tsp. Fennel Seeds
½ tsp. Mustard seeds (Rai Dana)
2 tbsp. Coriander seeds (Sabut Dhaniya)
1 tbsp. Cumin (Zeera)
1 tsp. Salt(or acc. to taste)
These spicy peppery and delicious Stuffed Kareley are an excellent nutritious veg dish that serves an ideal side dish or even as a meal when paired with chapatis.
Here’s the recipe for this delicious peppery and tangy Stuffed Kareley;
- Slit open bitter gourds length wise.
- Remove seeds.
- Marinate with salt for 30 mins.
- Rinse with water 2-3 times and set aside.
- In a pan add cumin, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, kalonji and mustard seeds.
- Dry roast until fragrant.
- Let cool, grind well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onions and fry until light brown.
- Add grounded spices and the remaining ingredients except green chilies and curry leaves.
- Saute for 2-3 mins or until water dries off.
- Stuff 1-2 tbsp. of mixture in bitter gourd.
- Roll up tightly using a thread.
- Shallow fry stuffed Karelas until light golden.
- Transfer to the remaining spice mixture.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves and salt.
- Simmer on low flame for 10 mins.
- Serve hot with chapatis.